Thursday, December 13, 2012

Sweden - Hell or Heaven for runners?

Hello,

Hur mår du? How are you? :-)

Today I would like answer for a question: Is Sweden Hell or Heaven for runners?

Before I visited Sweden for the first time I never heard about Swedish runners, I knew some names of cross-country skiers, I remembered ski jumper Jan Boklöv, hockey or handball team was also known as one of the best in world, I saw as Swedes plays curling... and of course Zlatan !!!

My imagination about Sweden was full of images of small towns, burrowed in deep snow, windy and plunged in darkness, lightened by small lights in windows. Maybe good for winter activities but for running, so it was rather runners Hell in my head ;-)

Being on place in southern Sweden it's turned out that winters here are usually much warmer then in Poland !!! How it is possible? Scania  has shape of peninsula so from three sides is surrounded by sea which in winter has temperature below zero, so it heat up the air plus warm Gulf Stream cause very nice climate in summer and also during winter.

Here is nice a chart which shows that summers in south Sweden are not so hot and winters are warmer then in Poland !! This second fact was for me a small shock :-)


Ok, so temperature and climate are more comfortably for runners then in Poland. But is it enough to be called runners' Heaven?

About another factors like culture, popularity, access to sport infrastructure, awareness of a health lifestyle, sports events and so on I will write soon :-) So welcome back here again in a day or two :-)

Vi ses snart !!! See you soon !!!


No comments:

Post a Comment